Position: Strategy Game and Map Design
Time frame: September 2018 - Ongoing
Development Time: ± 4 years
Team size: ± 40
Short brief: "A turn-based 4X strategy game with in-depth tactical combat''
Age of Wonders: Planetfall is the latest installment in the long-running Age of Wonders series of 4X strategy games. The game blends 4X turn-based strategy with in-depth tactical combat.
My tasks on this title while working at Triumph Studios include:
- Random Map Generation Template Design
- Ability design and implementation
- Hero character design
- Collection and implementation of gameplay feedback and balancing
- Narrative writing
- DLC content creation
- Map Generation Template Design:
Using the Random Map Generation system in the Creator engine, I designed and fully implemented planet templates. Each template enforces a different type of game flow, with more or less contest for resources, challenge in wildlife and expanding possibilities.
- Ability Design and implementation:
Develop unique interactions that synergize with corresponding races/secret techs
- Hero Character Design:
Using existing mechanics, develop a set of ±80 heroes that each tell a story or trope with their name, appearance and abilities
- Collection and implementation of gameplay feedback and balancing:
During the Closed Beta, attend to the forums to collect feedback and issues. These need to be prioritized, cased, fixed and marked resolved.
- Narrative writing:
1200+ Descriptional names of sectors based on their climes and themes, 700+ mod template names, 100+ World names, 80+ character names, quest and NPC dialogue.
- Designing and implementing of unique procedurally generated scenarios, including map design, quest development and balancing.
- Implementation and balancing of 4X and tactical game mechanics and abilities.
- Getting settled as a designer mid-project.
- Closed Beta conduction and feedback collection.
- Efficiently develop narrative content.
- Communication with closed beta
A highlight reel of sponsored streamer wowcrendor. It shows off tactical combat, strategic combat and diplomacy.